In order to fulfil the criteria, the following procedure has been defined:
1) The candidate registers with ESB by submitting an application.
The application form can be downloaded from this website.
2) This application should outline the Ph.D. subject, the university(ies)/organization(s) to visited, the list of publications (including titles), presentations at international meetings (including titles)
3) The completed application should be countersigned by the Ph.D. Supervisor,
4) The Education Committee of the ESB will either accept the proposal or identify defects and then suggest corrections.
5) The thesis defence or examination has to be carried out subject to the regulations of the candidates home university.
However, in order to be awarded the EDA, the thesis is to be judged by at least 1 teaching member of staff from another European Educational Institution. At least 1 member of the jury should come from another European country.
6) Once the candidate has been awarded his/her Ph.D. degree by his/her own University, he/she will provide the following evidence:
a) A report of the accomplishments according to the listed criteria, making sure that the mandatory requirements are included.
This report has to be countersigned by the Ph.D. Supervisor
b) A letter from the supervisor stating that the candidate has been a major contributor to the journal publications and participated actively in the international conferences.
7) The ESB Education Committee either requires further information and point 5) has to be revised and fulfilled or the go ahead is given.
8) The President of the ESB and the Education Committee Chairperson sign the EDA Diploma.
9) The formal EDA document is handed over to the awardee on occasion of the next coming ESB annual meeting
ESB-accredited training workshops
The ESB Council encourages the organization of training workshops with tutorial lectures by experts in the field on occasion of their annual meetings.
In addition to that, the Council encourages universities and/or research consortia that organize training programmes in the field of Biomaterials and Tissue engineering to apply for ESB accreditation.
At present the following Training Workshops are ESB accredited:
Advanced Summer Course in Cell-Materials Interactions, organized by Prof. Mario Barbosa
CIRMIB Biomaterials School, organized by Prof. Claudio Migliaresi
International School on Advanced Material Science and Technology, organized by Prof. Franco Rustichelli